CHICKEN AND CARROT TAGINE
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time59 min
- Perform Time15 min
- Total Time1 hr 34 min
- Serving Size4-6
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 4 bone-in, skin on chicken drumsticks
- 2 Spanish onion(s), peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 lemon, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander seed, ground
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 3 carrot(s), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup tomato(es), crushed
- 4 cups couscous, prepared
Season chicken thighs and drumsticks with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons >30 mLB olive oil in a skillet over high heat. Sear chicken in batches until golden on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
Pressure Cooker Method
Add the onions to the pot and stir until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the lemon and garlic and stir for 2 minutes.
Add the dried spices and season with salt and pepper. Stir for 1 minute. Add the carrots and stir until coated with spices. Add the chicken thighs, drumsticks, crushed tomatoes and enough water to just cover the ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour over a low simmer.
During the last 20 minutes prepare some couscous. Divide the tagine and the couscous between warmed bowls.