- 1/4 cup Moresh Chili Pepper Flavor Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup harissa sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 3/4 cup basil pesto
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup heavy cream or canned coconut milk
- 1 pound penne of other tube shaped pasta
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup fresh basil roughly chopped
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, and oregano. Cook until the onion begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the harissa sauce, tomato paste, cook 4-5 minutes, until thickened. Stir in the vodka, cook another 2 minutes. Stir in the pesto and cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm over low heat.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente. Just before draining, save 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. It’s optional but you can use it to thin the sauce later on.
3. To the vodka sauce, add the pasta, the parmesan and basil. If needed, thin the sauce with the saved pasta cooking water and mix until pasta is all tossed in vodka sauce.
4. Divide the pasta among plates and top with basil and parmesan cheese.